Please Note:

This blog is under construction as of 12/2017. A new blog and a new website are coming soon! Thanks for your patience!

Thursday, December 08, 2016

A Kid's Guide to Being a Scientist--Starting Now! (Part 3 of 7)

Hi! If you already read one of the earlier blog posts in this series, just skip down to the Tip section below. This introduction section is the same for each of the 7 blog posts. 

I was so honored to be interviewed by the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) recently, and have an article written about me published on their website. (https://strongly.mda.org/space-anthropologist-keirsten-snover-encourages-others-to-pursue-scientific-passions/) Sometimes people are surprised when they meet me or see pictures of me in articles like that one, because I have multiple disabilities, but I am still a scientist! I have a rare muscle disease that makes it hard to do some things, like walk and breathe. But I can still use a computer, so now I find ways to do science using the internet! 

The MDA asked me during my interview if I had advice for kids who want to explore science and space, and so I would like to share some suggestions here on my blog through a total of 7 tips. You can start being a scientist today, right now, and I will show you how! Since I find ways to use the internet to do science, I would like to share some ways that YOU can use the internet to do science, too! I have included links to several online websites that have great science resources. Of course, these are not the only places that have great science stuff--there are lots of other opportunities out there. These are just a few sites that I know about and I'd like to share with you, so you can have a starting point. So, go start being a scientist right now!


TIP #3 of 7: Explore science! 

If you don't have access to a science lab, there are many places to find virtual science labs online. For example, HHMI (Howard Hughes Medical Institute) has several interactive virtual science labs on their website. If you like Space, take a look at the Moon, Mars, and Sky features that Google Earth offers--you can view Moon landing sites, Mars rover models, constellations, and more. Make sure to go on lots of virtual field trips—for instance, Discovery Education has Earth & Space Science virtual field trips! One exciting trip is to Lockheed Martin's Space Operations and Simulations Center to visit their Mars Habitat Module. If you don't have your own telescope, don't worry, because you can look at objects in space using an online telescope through sites like WorldWide Telescope. There are tons of great apps to explore as well. NASA's SSRE (Space Station Research Explorer) app will tell you about all the research scientists are doing on the ISS (International Space Station). You can even take a virtual tour of the ISS through the website of European Space Agency (ESA). YouTube videos are another great source of science stuff--just make sure the source is reliable, like the NASA Education YouTube Channel. Don't miss NASA TV, where you can watch live broadcasts of all the mission launches!



Google Earth: Moon Feature: https://www.google.com/moon/

Google Earth: Mars Feature: https://www.google.com/mars/

Google Earth: Sky Feature: https://www.google.com/sky/

Discovery Education Earth & Space Science Archived Virtual Field Trips: http://www.discoveryeducation.com//Events/virtual-field-trips/explore/by-theme/earth-and-space-science.cfm








(Image Credit: Howard Hughes Medical Institute)



(Image Credit: Google Earth)


No comments:

Post a Comment