Please Note:

This blog is under construction as of 12/2017. A new blog and a new website are coming soon! Thanks for your patience!

Monday, December 19, 2016

A Kid's Guide to Being a Scientist--Starting Now! (Part 5 of 7)

Hi! If you already read one of the earlier blog posts in this series, just skip down to the Tip section below. This introduction section is the same for each of the 7 blog posts. 

I was so honored to be interviewed by the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) recently, and have an article written about me published on their website. (https://strongly.mda.org/space-anthropologist-keirsten-snover-encourages-others-to-pursue-scientific-passions/) Sometimes people are surprised when they meet me or see pictures of me in articles like that one, because I have multiple disabilities, but I am still a scientist! I have a rare muscle disease that makes it hard to do some things, like walk and breathe. But I can still use a computer, so now I find ways to do science using the internet! 

The MDA asked me during my interview if I had advice for kids who want to explore science and space, and so I would like to share some suggestions here on my blog through a total of 7 tips. You can start being a scientist today, right now, and I will show you how! Since I find ways to use the internet to do science, I would like to share some ways that YOU can use the internet to do science, too! I have included links to several online websites that have great science resources. Of course, these are not the only places that have great science stuff--there are lots of other opportunities out there. These are just a few sites that I know about and I'd like to share with you, so you can have a starting point. So, go start being a scientist right now!


TIP #5 of 7: Find a mentor! 

If you are in middle school, you can apply for a mentor through the NASA Girls and NASA Boys Virtual Mentoring Program. Girl students in grades 8-12 are eligible to take part in NASA's Aspire 2 Inspire online mentoring program. If you’re a teen with a disability and you want to go to college to study a STEM field, then you can apply for an online mentor through the DO-IT Pals Program. Mentors in the DO-IT Pals Program also have disabilities themselves, and are practicing professionals in a STEM field. Other mentoring programs, both online and face-to-face, may be available in your community. Check with your school, ask local community organizations, or use a search engine to find out. If you are in elementary school, it's not too early to get a mentor! See if there are any mentoring programs in your area for your age group, or see if there is an adult your parent or guardian or teacher knows who likes science! 


NASA Girls & NASA Boys Virtual Mentoring: https://women.nasa.gov/nasagirls/

NASA's Aspire 2 Inspire Mentoring Program: https://women.nasa.gov/a2i/



(Image Credit: NASA)



(Image Credit: DO-IT, University of Washington)

No comments:

Post a Comment