Please Note:

This blog is under construction as of 12/2017. A new blog and a new website are coming soon! Thanks for your patience!

Thursday, December 22, 2016

A Kid's Guide to Being a Scientist--Starting Now! (Part 6 of 7)

Hi! If you already read one of the earlier blog posts in this series, just skip down to the Tip section below. This introduction section is the same for each of the 7 blog posts. 

I was so honored to be interviewed by the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) recently, and have an article written about me published on their website. (https://strongly.mda.org/space-anthropologist-keirsten-snover-encourages-others-to-pursue-scientific-passions/) Sometimes people are surprised when they meet me or see pictures of me in articles like that one, because I have multiple disabilities, but I am still a scientist! I have a rare muscle disease that makes it hard to do some things, like walk and breathe. But I can still use a computer, so now I find ways to do science using the internet! 

The MDA asked me during my interview if I had advice for kids who want to explore science and space, and so I would like to share some suggestions here on my blog through a total of 7 tips. You can start being a scientist today, right now, and I will show you how! Since I find ways to use the internet to do science, I would like to share some ways that YOU can use the internet to do science, too! I have included links to several online websites that have great science resources. Of course, these are not the only places that have great science stuff--there are lots of other opportunities out there. These are just a few sites that I know about and I'd like to share with you, so you can have a starting point. So, go start being a scientist right now!


TIP #6 of 7: Do Science Projects! 

Does your school have an annual science fair? If so, be sure to take part each year! If not, you could be the one to start up the first science fair program! If you are between the ages of 13 and 18, then you can enter the online Google Science Fair held every year starting in February. One of the prizes was to tour Virgin Galactic's Space Port and see their new spaceship! Also, check out NASA's International Space Apps Challenge, a 48-72 hour long hackathon held in April each year, where ordinary citizens try to solve real world problems using data from NASA. You can participate as an individual or a team--lots of kids do it--and you just need wifi! You don't need to be a coder to participate in Space Apps--you just need to be interested in solving problems, and that's what scientists do!



NASA's International Space Apps Challenge: https://2017.spaceappschallenge.org/



(Image Credit: NASA)


(Image Credit: Google)

No comments:

Post a Comment